Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I can see Christmas Day

I can see Christmas day

Smoke from the chimney patterns its yarn to the sky;
The roof is folded inside a white envelop;
The hill is a rumpled parcel a giant slept in;
Snow fell last night like lost letters from the heavens;
Mark shouts from the lane he was first to find the snow.

The air mists into the old bottom-field flaxhole;
Eyelets of icicles lace light through the hedgerows;
We walk the sparkling air by the fast flat-stone stream;
Our faces glide like lilies on the water’s skin;
The wakened Dan asks, ‘Did I hear Santa last night?’

My somersault of memory springs back to now;
Pigeons are asking questions of the naked trees;
On my phone is a photo of Mark laying down
A new schoolroom floor for bright kids in Arusha;
Dan phones me asking, ‘What time is Mark’s flight due in?’

Under this steep leafless sky I can see Christmas day;
The leaping stones cheer, the stream throngs with singing choirs;
Orla spreads the warm wings of her wide-eyed welcome;
The sound of astounded mother’s love wakes the sun;
The sight of our boys births our souls back to wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment