Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Kavanagh

Kavanagh

The road is hard; morning to night;
Ploughing the hill field, we break stone and clay;
Little I see that gives; the brambled hedges are severe;
I can see no glory in a boor tree bush;
I use up my instincts in back-bending labour;
I was born owing it everything;
Debt to the cold-cramped land is my birthright;
My emotions are invested in this stone and clay;
I have given my soul away
The hills are the only breasts I know;
I give armfuls of dried hay flowers to cows;
The soil plays a harsh tune on my longing;
It is the only spending I do;
I might as well be a pagan;
I find demigod powers in a secret demijohn;
Although I have never glimpsed him,
I hope god is ashamed;
This slavery is a clear affront to nature.
Who cares if my forebears were chieftains;
I don’t want redemption in a paradise garden;
I have no taste left for god-made vines;
For I’m sick of scrabbing the sullen soil.
From the spasms of joy springs the bitter spurt;
Our most voluptuous groans are dyed with hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment